THE NURSERY


In honor of transitioning our son Hendrix from our room to his nursery (he is 2 years old, pray for us haha!) I thought I’d blog on his nursery that I put so much love into.

When creating Hendrix’s room I wanted a bright and airy gender neutral space with a whimsical vibe, a playful room with an emphasis on nature. I feel like one of the best starts to defining the space was wall color. We started by painting the walls a light grey with a very light blue undertone. During this process I learned that there are literally a million shades of grey! There are greys with lavender undertones, blue, green, silver, etc. So it took several swatches and samples to find our perfect hue, but it was totally worth it, take your time and have fun with it. The ceiling was already a light baby green when we moved into the house and so we left it that way, I think it gives the room a little funky flair.

I kept nursery rather simple, filling it with necessities and art. My Mother purchased the crib as a baby shower gift from Buy Buy Baby, and what’s cool about it is that it converts into a toddler bed as well as a full-size bed. I jokingly like to say that Hendrix can use this crib until he moves out! For the bedding I purchased crisp white sheets and soft colored stuffed animals to go on top.


The baby mobile/dream catcher is my favorite feature of the whole room! I actually purchased it for the nursery a couple of months before my husband and I began trying to conceive. We were on vacation in Tulum, Mexico and there were so many beautifully hand made and detailed dream catchers and bassinets! I fell in love with this whimsical one and brought it home with me.

In ancient Mayan culture, “Dream Catchers were hung above the beds of sleeping children to protect them from bad dreams and evil spirits..the spider web design of the dream catcher would allow good dreams to pass through and float down the hanging beads and feathers to sleeping children. Bad dreams, however, would be caught in the web. As the first rays of the morning light hit the dream catcher, the bad dreams would disappear. Children sleeping under a dream catcher would thus be protected from nightmares.” -wonderopolis.org

The wall art above the crib is also a bit whimsical and these pieces (sold individually) were found at IKEA. I love the soft colors of the birds and how a few of them are wearing crowns. The brown thread that zig zags across the art can actually be used to hang small photos. I don’t plan on using it this way but it is a cool function, all you need are small clips to attach the photos. Link to art is below, along with links for most of the items in the room.


Also from IKEA is the rocking chair, curtains, large and small rug, and the changing table/dresser. Shopping for a rocking chair started off as a bit of a hassle because I didn’t want to spend much money on something that I wasn’t sure would get a ton of use. Most websites and stores sold rocking chairs for several hundred dollars, but not good ole IKEA! You can purchase one of their stylish rocking chairs for $149-269, depending on your wood and cushion selection. Matching foot stools can also be purchased separately for about $65-100. We purchased one of the stools but I never use it. The rocking chair and stool comes in several different colors and prints so it’s very easy to find one that works for your room design. They’re pretty comfortable for the price so I highly recommend! I complimented the rocking chair with a plush off-white blanket, perfect for late nights soothing a baby back to sleep. I also added a pillow with a fun tribal print (from Ross) for a little color.

For this part of the wall I framed a beautiful piece my Mom put together for Hendrix. It’s a poem about Hendrix's Indian heritage with a little bit of history on our ancestors. I purchased the frame from IKEA. The tree art next to the picture frame are removable wall decals that I found at Babies R Us. It was pretty easy to apply and helps bring together the nature vibes of the nursery.

The curtains are a simple crisp white, I purchased the longest length I could find for a dramatic effect! These were fairly inexpensive as well and from IKEA.

As for the large rug, well that’s where I shelled out a good amount of cash. It was a few hundred dollars and honestly totally worth it because it’s just so darn cute and I love how it’s gender neutral. Unfortunately I can't find the rug on Ikeas website anymore. However the small sheepskin rug is always available and it's super comfy on the feet, it was a steal at only $40!

I’d have to say the best bang for my buck is the multifunctional changing table/dresser from IKEA. I searched around quite a bit before purchasing and found that buying a changing table would be a bit of a waste when you can just buy a dresser that doubles as a changing table and clothing storage. This dresser comes with 4 small drawers and 4 large drawers. The drawers are very deep and can hold a lot of clothing. There’s so much storage that I can use it to store clothing for two babies. The top of the dresser is very spacious as well. There’s plenty of room for a deluxe sized changing pad, diapers and wipes, as well as some decorations. My now 2 year old son can still be comfortably changed on top of the dresser. One thing to note is that my husband and I are on the tall side and so the height of the dresser works out perfectly for us, however, if you are on the shorter side this dresser might be too tall to double as a changing table.


I mainly keep necessities on top of the dressing table. The deluxe changing pad is from Babies R Us and the changing pad cover is from Babyletto. I found the light green wooden box at Ross (one of my favorite stores for home decor) and it holds diapers, wipes, lotion, etc. For a sentimental touch I have a medium sized picture frame that displays 4 photographs from the maternity shoot.

The art above the changing table is from IKEA and the 3 pictures are sold as a set. My husband and I love to travel and so we had to pay homage to that. The soft green color compliments the fairly neutral tones throughout the nursery and is neither masculine or feminine.


The wall for clothing storage is rather simple. Our home came with a large unit that functions as a closet and this is where I store Hendrix’s jackets, shoes etc..along with some non baby related items that really have no business in there haha! But it’s a lot of storage so why not make use of it! I’m not sure where the unit was purchased.

The elephant baby hamper was a baby shower gift from my cousin. It’s one of the items in this room that gets the most compliments and a ton of use of course. Above the hamper is a faux leaf piece in the letter H for Hendrix. I purchased it from JoAnnes Fabric for baby shower decor and ended up finding a place for it in the nursery afterwards.

All in all it took me about a month or two to put together the nursery and it was very simple to do..just leave the handy work up to your hubby ;-) I found that the best way to get started on the room was to come up with a theme/vibe for the nursery first. This will help you build your color scheme and once you hit Google and Pinterest with those ideas it should all come together easily. I also found that “simple” is best, an overly decorated nursery might not be as appealing to the eye as it may seem. Lastly, consider a timeless theme that can easily transition into a toddler and child’s room. You can’t really go wrong with nature, soft colors, and fairly understated pieces.


Comments

Popular Posts